Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween in Oz

OK, we're off to see the Wizard! Halloween was awesome yet again this year. The night before Halloween, Lucy went to a YW activity and decided to dress as a boy. We had no idea how great she would look as a boy...very cute. Strangely cute. She was alarmingly weird looking and I felt like I finally had the son I never had. Wow. She creeped us all out with her skinny, bound down chest and her boy-swagger. We went to Hannah's grade school that morning and she skulked down next to me with a tough little look on her face. All of her former teachers walked right by her, never recognizing the little thug before them. I had to keep telling them it was her, and they were, of course, blown away. She was "Lucas" that day, but wanted to a more exotic name like Rico or something like that. I'm sure she wanted to yank that ace bandage off the minute she got home. She sent the pics to her friends and they all were impressed. Mostly they just wondered who the hot guy was and how they could hook up with him. Ew.
The next day, Halloween, we sort of forced Lu into dressing as the tin girl. She had done it the night before for dance, and it was a hit. She looked darling in her little outfit, but during dance I received a text that said, "My arm broke." What???? I about flipped my gourd. After much confusion, I realized she had broken the accordian-like dryer thingies on her arm that I got at Home Depot. Phew. So Lucy began her night helping a friend with a haunted garage, and had a difficult time leaving that kind of fun for family time, but she did it. Emma was at home nursing a cold and reveling in the idea of just not doing it at all. After a loud conversation, it was determined that yes, she would indeed get off her bed of infirmity and put on the green makeup and tight costume and uncomfortable shoes, and go out and flaunt ourselves on Halloween. It ended up being a great time for her after all, but her little green face always had a smudge of regular skin showing through under her nose...due to all the blowing.
We had many friends and neighbors to visit, which was easy since we had not ONE single trick or treater. What is happening? We do live in a townhome, which can be intimidating I guess, but come on. How can a trunk be more appealing than the old-fashioned traipsing up to the door and screeching "TRICK OR TREAT!" to frightened/frightening strangers? But my favorite part of the night was when we all started skipping down the street singing "Weeeeeeeee-'re off to see the Wizard!" As we came up to the Safadi's house, little Ammon and Yousef were peering their sweet little faces out the door and squealed when they saw us. We grabbed them and proceeded on to the house o' horrors...the Dukes. This has always scared the beejeebers out of Emma, and this night was no exception. The scary, silent, hulking ghouls in their living room grabbing your hands when you get the candy is too much for dear Emma. But we took pictures and ran on to the Crowleys, VanLeeuewens, and Tapps, where we took more pictures and effectively emptied them out of candy and cookies.

We ended the night at our friends the Hunts house. Lesley as Gepetto was probably the highlight of the night for us. Her cute/creepy little puppet was so hilarious and we got lots of mileage out of abusing that little puppet. We watched the scariest movie we've all seen yet (suspense-scary)...the Others. I loved the twist at the end and it reminded us all of The Sixth Sense. A perfect movie to watch on Halloween and we all drove home and Han and I jumped into bed together to dream of sugarplums...No, Sugardaddy's dancing in our heads.














1 comment:

Miss M said...

That's it! I'm doing Halloween with you guys next year. O will love it. I miss all y'all.